How do you market your business in this age of social media? There is no denying the impact of online marketing and social media but I think many companies are doing it wrong. The best social media strategy in the world is not going to help a poor quality business. On the other hand, companies that deliver amazing service probably don’t need to invest much in social media because their ardent fans will market their business for free. I think the Canadian printing company JukeBox Print Shop is one of those fantastic companies doing everything right.
I just ordered a rush order of business cards from JukeBox Print Shop and was completely amazed at the quality of service at every stage of the ordering process. This level of customer service and quality were so out-standing that I sent an email to thank them. Here is the text of that email:
I am thoroughly impressed with the entire process of getting my rush order of business cards.
- Your well designed and clearly organized website was the first surprise. There are so many graphic design companies who don’t even bother to maintain an appealing and updated website.
- Your customer service staff were very knowledgeable and helpful. I needed the cards quickly so I called several times to see what my options were and that it was possible to deliver by my short deadline. Your staff knew your product very well and clarified everything. It is so rare to find customer service reps that actually know and care about their company’s products.
- Despite sending in my designs just before closing on a Friday, I still received the PDF proofs for verification minutes later.
- Your email notifications and website kept me updated on exactly what stage my order was in. A minor misunderstanding was corrected in my order within minutes online.
- The cards were delivered on time, exactly as promised, for half the price of local printers. Even the card stock you offered was thicker at this already discounted price.
You have a fantastic company. I have no doubt that you will be very successful. Congratulations on everything you have accomplished.
A very happy customer,
I was already extremely satisfied with my order of 250 of their inexpensive business cards, however JukeBox Print took it to the next level. In order to thank me for my email, they have offered 1,250 premium business cards for free.
I told my story with JukeBox Print in a presentation in front of 80 people, I have written this post, I have told everyone who will listen and I tweeted about the company several times with more to come. Is my promotion worth 1,250 free business cards? I am already planning my next order and several of my contacts are interested in using JukeBox Print in the future. I think their generous offer will pay off many times in the near future.
The key lesson is that social media is about the conversation. Real support from dedicated fans can be invaluable promotion and it can’t be faked. Companies should focus on delivering great products with exceptional customer service, then the online marketing will almost take care of itself.
What do you think; should companies invest in great customer service before social media?