Big Ideas: The earth’s population will reach 7 billion this year.
More than half of us live in cities.
The population of our planet will reach 7 billion people this year. National Geographic created this fantastic video outlining some key facts about what 7 billion people mean to the world. Here are some highlights:
- 5 people are born every second and 2 people die.
- In 1800, the world’s population was 1 billion.
- In 2010, the average person lived 69 years. In 1960 it was 53.
- In 2008, more of us lived in cities than rural areas for the first time ever.
- In 1975, there were 3 cities with a population greater than 10 million. Now there are 21.
- 5% of us consume, 23% of the world’s energy.
- 13% of us don’t have clean drinking water.